I have just been in and tried this site which allows you to keep a PRIVATE online journal. I have a student at present who wants to practise her writing and I have suggested she keeps a diary. I said she could do it in a notebook or on the class Wiki if she liked, but she didn't want the rest of the class reading it. I have just sent her this link so she has an online option and if she wants to share it with me or decides to open it up to more people in the future then she can.
It seems a great idea for all of us who don't like the idea of our every thought being available for the world to read but are happier typing away than writing by hand.
Not very collaborative or even cooperative, but might really motivate some students to get writing.
3 comments:
I looked at this yesterday and thought it was nice and simple but different from writing a Word document journal and sharing it. I thought it looked nice and gave that flexibility to share with the people you want to easily. I'll be interested to see how you get on with it. I'm thinking about putting a link to this on my Wiki for my online students to use if they feel it's useful.
Yes I agree an interesting tool. When I had a look I also noticed the share function Irene. I played with that here - this is the embedded public code Diane's diary
I wonder what sort of learning activities would encourage learners to write a diary and share it? But then it's like sharing thoughts on a blog, I guess. I think as a personal learning diary, it could be a simple but effective tool; then content can be shared in a different, selective way?
That also reminded me that when you guys come to doing your Developing Researcher Competence course, you'll be encouraged to keep a researcher diary. I have a student who logged her whole dissertation journey in a blog which I as supervisor could see Clare's research diary(link here as I know Clare has given me permission to show you:-) but this tool could also serve quite well as a more private researcher diary.
Forgot to add Susan, hope this feels less scary now:-) A couple of things, you can insert the hyperlink to a page at the head of a post. The other thing is remember to tag an initial post. This means this gets added to the tag menu and you can look for related messages. I'm just going to post a new message on this as an example:-)
Post a Comment