Susan posted on Penzu and I have already added a comment to her post:-) However this made me also realise that I was suggesting a more global theme that I felt needed tagging - we can't tag comments. (Susan, there is an example here of tagging - if you wanted to tag your own post, you can edit as the author and do that).
This reflection on tagging also exemplifies how we need to think about the specific affordances of these tools. As we know, things can get difficult to find again and tagging helps us to locate.
Anyway, thanks to Susan for trying out Penzu - I hadn't had a look before. As Irene noted, there is a share function and this caused me to think more about the private/public dimensions of tools such as Penzu or the blog we're now reading. Social networking seems to encourage much more of the public, in fact.
However, Penzu starts in the personal domain and I think as a personal learning diary, could be a simple but effective tool; learners could choose to share the content they wish or use it for metacognitive reflection, prompted by the teacher, about learning. But the teacher may never see the original content.
Other diaries may be shared dfor specific reasons. That also reminded me that when you guys come to doing your Developing Researcher Competence course, you'll be encouraged to keep a researcher diary. I have a student who logged her whole dissertation journey in a blog which I as supervisor could see Clare's research diary (link here as I know Clare has given me permission to show you:-) but Penzu could also serve quite well as a more private researcher diary.
So these thoughts are really musing about diaries, blogs (any other tools) for personal v collaborative use. We tend to spend quite a bit of time exploring the 'social' 'collaborative' but mustn't neglect private reflection:-) By the way I tried the share function in Penzu - you can select a code to embed into a blog or wiki for example. This is the embedded public code Diane's diary
No comments:
Post a Comment