Thursday, 25 November 2010

An anthropological introduction to Youtube

I can recommend this as a thought provoking introduction to the Youtube phenomenon.
Further grist to the debate about drivers and emerging digital literacy. Would be interested to hear reactions and whether this relates to your own positions on the role of technology in language curricula.



.

4 comments:

lionheart said...

Hi Diane, I don't know whether this is because I am on a train at the moment, but after various attempts at watching this video I have received the same obstacle information: This video contains content from UMG. It is not available in your country. I will try again later but just thought I would point this out and see if anyone else is having the same problem?

Diane said...

Ahh - that's a first. Thanks for letting me know, Juli.
I've just posted a task reminder in Bbrd and have said if everyone's too busy, I won't expect viewing for next week. It really is content to provoke thoughts(I hope) :-) Maybe this means we have an issue anyway?
I'll go and see if I can spot anything.

Susan D said...

Thanks so much for this link Diane. I found it an utterly fascinating look at the different issues involved with sites like You Tube. All the things about authenticity, pretending to be someone you aren't and who is the real you are really deep questions, but also made me reflect on the way that some students seem to love role-play. I've often observed that quite shy students seem to come alive if they can "hide" under a hat or behind a pair of glasses and I suppose in a way, You Tube, and things like Second Life even more so, are giving people the opportunity to be someone that they don't feel comfortable being in real life for whatever reason.
This is getting a bit more philosophical and I'm not sure if it's really related to the language learning aspect, but I had a long chat with a friend at the weekend about one's behaviour on something like Second Life. It relates to what was being said in this clip about "connection without restraint" and the idea that our online behaviour might seem to be consequence free and therefore we can do and say things that we wouldn't dream of in the real world. The implication here was that there are consequences for other people and I think that would be something to be very aware of when using these sorts of things with students.
Would love to know what others think about this.

lionheart said...

finally got to watch the video, and definitely worth the wait. I agree it is thought provoking. It made me look at youtube in many ways I hadn't thought of before, very interesting and the start of a few debates at least!