Wednesday, 3 December 2008

Hi there

I've just tried to comment on Aga's post but it wouldn't let me leave a comment - it kept saying that anonymous comments weren't allowed even though I kept filling in all the information asked for! So I'm trying a new post instead rather than a comment.

Your point is really interesting - it's too easy to assume that everyone is familiar with computers. It's just not the case. I was surprised last year by how many of the extremely professional, highly qualified and experienced English teachers in my MA class at Salford had NO experience of computers at all. Having to write assignments on computers was so difficult for them as even using a mouse was a real problem. We can't afford to assume that everyone finds using computers easy! Your approach sounds fantastic - letting your students gain confidence and feel more comfortable with keyboard and mouse before you ask them to do anything too scary!

1 comment:

Diane said...

Useful points here - I think this is where the 'fun' activities can come in eg Giovanni type dictations; jigsaw reading/writing activities.

How about activities such as create a an image storyline?
Find images on the WWW according to teacher prompts; download and insert into WORD, sequence to make a storyline. This could stop there and learners use for oral prompts, or add a few lines.

this type of activity is essentially e-literacy in disguise:-) rather like the WORD activities like Canary

PS - not sure why you couldn't comment Julia - usualy when the comments option is not ticked when the poster adds the message to the blog but Aga's seems to have this function activated. Might relate to not being logged in fully?

BW
Diane