Tuesday, 9 December 2008

Synchronous communication

Hi everyone
I just read the transcripts of the conversations which Diane asked us to look at and it was interesting to see how much language was generated. I think it's noticeable how topics are broached and dropped quickly if the other person doesn't react - like, in the second one, the NS's comment about 'David Beckham and his wife and the other woman'. The NNS either didn't know about or wasn't interested in DB's life outside football :) so the conversation just flowed on without interruption really. I find that too when I'm on MSN with my friends and family - topics get raised and dropped much more subtly than in conversation when it would be quite rude to ignore someone's remark or question.
My other feeling was that I don't like reading through the transcripts really. I'm not sure why but I think it has something to do with the fact that conversations like that don't seem DESIGNED for reading and it feels embarrassing that your rapidly written fragments of conversation are then thrust in front of your nose to see how silly they sounded.... I'm happy to enter the language complete with typos and false starts if I think it's just going to be quickly read and then the other person will move straight on - I think if I knew there would be a transcript produced for later scrutiny it would inhibit me very much from entering into the spirit of the thing. Hope that makes sense.
Julia

No comments: