Tuesday, 2 December 2008

Writeboard

Hi all

This is a collaborative writing tool - another example of social software applications.

I set a text up here
http://123.writeboard.com/1c4e26d555cf2f47d/v/new

login educ7006
p/word manchester1

Check my text, correct anything, add or make changes to make it more readable or more advanced:-)
Then see how you can track these changes.

Any potentials here?

See also Nik Peachey's trial wiki space on Cinderella at http://cinderella-their-story.wetpaint.com/page/The+Cinderella+Story

I really like this creative writing idea that could easily be adapted for online collaborative writing activities. Nik invites you to join in an experiment too.

BW
Diane

3 comments:

Julia said...

That was really fun. The duck story is lovely.

I also had a quick look at Nik's site but I think you have to sign in to add to the story and I hadn't got time to look properly how to do that.

I loved the way that you could add to the story from other points of view - down the side you can click on 'the stepmother's story' and read her version. I noticed that no one has yet written the story from Cinderalla's mother's point of view and I'd like to have a go at that.

I think I could use this with my class - even without the technology. However, it makes me wish for class computers even more :(

Julia said...

By the way, it helps if you can remember your username and password.... I tried about ten times before I remembered that my username is my normal email address ;)

Diane said...

I also love the 'different angles' aspect to Nik's Cinderella story. The one thing to think about with wikis though is how you move from its inherent potential to support collaborative writing and publishing of product. It's rather like the ideas rehearsed through the email example. Does the wiki also remain as the publishing domain for the wider group to share ie the class becomes the readership so in some respects this remains a 'writing for language development' task; or is there some other publishing output?

One definite advantage of wiki writing, though, is writing does at least get read by others in the class.

Designing tasks that involve learners making specific contributions to a bigger piece seems to be a good way forward though. For example students could make a local guide to the town/city they live in eg Manchester; this could be added to and revised as they find their way round and used by subsequent students even.

My final question returns to task design though. What would we need to think about in order to set up collaborative writing tasks such as these and what roles would we as teachers play?

Diane

Diane

Diane